When booking with True Adventure you can be sure that you are booking with experts who take student safety, and financial protection seriously.
As schools start to book new trips you want to be sure that the company your are booking with offers you, the students and parents, the financial protection you need, and will ensure the trip is as Covid secure as it can be. Our Book Confidently, Travel Safely policy is designed to do just that.
Evolution not revolution
Since COVID-19 first became part of the national consciousness, the restrictions and measures needed to curb its spread have caused much public longing for a return to ‘normal’.
Expedition life, however, has never been normal and since our inception we have rigorously enforced guidelines to mitigate the spread of communicable diseases and infections.
From the training weekends to flights home, our leaders have always coached teams on simple habits such as always using hand sanitizer before eating anything and ‘tip, don’t dip’ (where shareable foods like crisps and sweets are tipped into recipients’ hands, rather than having a succession of hands enter the same packet).
Training for leader teams in our new COVID-19 guidelines (summarised below) will be part of our annual Leader Conference; though with almost all our leaders working in school or outdoor-centre environments, these measures will already be second nature to them.
We will continue to monitor the latest government recommendations on COVID-19 to ensure our teams’ in-country practices remain up-to-date and industry-leading.
- We will only travel to destinations where the COVID transmission rates and local responses are deemed safe for travel by the UK Government (as well as meeting our own high standards). Of course the destination will also have to allow visitors from the UK.
- In-country medical facilities will need to meet our criteria for primary and secondary care.
- We will only work with operators and in-country providers who commit to strictly observing our COVID-safe guidelines. They will be required to show evidence that appropriate COVID precautions are in place for accommodation, travel, trekking guides and project hosts.
- Itineraries will be adapted, where needed, to create additional mitigation measures.
- We will advise if teams are required to complete an additional health screening declaration prior to travel, such as a COVID-19 test or vaccination.
- All True Adventure technical leaders and accompanying school leaders will be trained in and committed to enforcing our COVID-safe guidelines. COVID risks will be assessed dynamically throughout each expedition and all possible measures deemed necessary will be taken.
- Additional hand sanitiser, face masks, surface cleaner and thermometers will be provided as appropriate.
- COVID-safe practices will be reinforced to all local staff (guides, porters, drivers, etc.), e.g. the use of masks and hand-sanitizer in the preparation of food.
- As with all Health & Safety issues on expedition, team members (leaders and students) will be encouraged to look out for compromises in COVID-safe behaviour and immediately raise any concerns.
- Wherever possible, vehicles and venues will be exclusive to our teams and cleaned with disinfectant prior to use (with on-going cleaning of ‘high-touch’ areas a high priority).
- Social distancing measures will be observed when required, along with the use of ‘micro-bubbles’ within teams to limit contact during travel and while in accommodation.
- We will avoid crowed areas whenever possible, especially indoors, in preference of quiet outdoor or well-ventilated indoor spaces.
Cancellation by True Adventure
Diversion: Should your destination country be deemed by the UK Government as unsafe for travel, we would initially look to offer a similar itinerary to another of our fantastic destinations.
Deferral: If a suitable diversion is not possible, we would offer a deferral, meaning the expedition would take place in its original form (or as close as possible to it) at a later date. Should you accept a deferral, your COVID-19 cover would also be deferred to the later trip (meaning we couldn’t defer and then cancel without refunding).
Refund: If neither of the above are possible, or deemed acceptable by the travelling party, True Adventure would offer a full refund. This refund is further guaranteed by our ATOL membership, which has already been extended to September 2021. ATOL would guarantee refunds to all travelling parties should True Adventure cease trading – ATOL cover is given on the day you book and protects you until the day you travel.
Cancellation by Travelling Party
It should not come as a surprise to read that, by the time your team reaches the departure gates, True Adventure will have invested a lot of time and money in your expedition. Our long-standing cancellation policy has therefore always mirrored our reasonable ‘costs-to-date’ and has been updated to include COVID-19.
Any genuine COVID-19 cancellation by a travelling party will result in a full refund of all monies paid to that point.
N.B. For the purposes of our cancellation policy, COVID-19 is either a confirmed positive test within 21 days of departure or a self-isolation order via NHS Track & Trace, or local health authority, that precludes travel under the official government guidance in place at the time (for the UK or destination country) .
In the case of the travelling party being unable to provide evidence of either of the above, the cancellation would be subject to our normal, non-COVID cancellation terms.